Effective contract drafting
Practical and interactive online workshop, with trainer monitoring of drafting in breakout rooms.
PSC elective or for solicitors at all levels. Content and duration varied. Combines well with follow-on one-to-ones.
Example outline below for a 3.5-hour course (two sessions of 1.75-hours each).
Small groups of up to 12 preferred but please discuss numbers with us.
Why choose this skills course?
Clear and precise drafting is essential, to achieve clients’ objectives, to make documents easy to read and understand, and to avoid future disputes and claims against your firm.
This course will help you meet the SRA competence standard on drafting.
What will you achieve by attending?
You will be able to
- spot and avoid both common and your own drafting issues
- assess and use precedent clauses more appropriately
- draft more clearly and precisely
To further develop your skills, we will give you a set of best-practice guidelines with a checklist for use in the office.
What will we cover?
- Drafting for the reader and for your purpose
- Structuring clauses
- Ensuring completeness of content and language
- Keeping drafting short and simple, including tenses, active and passive voice, syntax, and word choice
- Dealing with provisos and exceptions
- Avoiding over cross-referencing with subject to and notwithstanding
- Recognising and avoiding ambiguity
- Choosing language of obligation and discretion: shall, will, must and may
What exercises will you do?
You will complete exercises throughout, to draw out best-practice guidelines and to practise drafting with the benefit of trainer monitoring and group feedback.
Exercises will include deconstructing, analysing and redrafting poorly drafted precedent clauses; and drafting from scratch.
Zoom (preferred) or similar platform
Work in pairs, threes, group and alone
Breakout rooms: trainer monitoring,
screen sharing and joint document annotating
Homework between sessions
Guidelines with summary checklist for use in the office
Exercises, drafting analyses and suggested redrafts, and session workings